Roasted tomato soup is a classic warming dish, perfect on a winters eve. This is a super quick and easy roasted tomato soup recipe – no need to peel and deseed millions of tomatoes.
“Tomatoes are a good source of calcium and iron. They also contain decent amounts of phosphorus, sulfur, and potassium. Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and contain good amounts of vitamin B and vitamin A.” (1)
- 800g Ripe cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin of cherry tomatoes
- 3 small carrots
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1.5 teaspoons of Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cubed pancetta and pumpkin seeds to serve (optional)
- Heat your oven to 160 degrees C/gas 3.
- Wash and slice your fresh cherry tomatoes in half and arrange in a roasting tin, cut side up. Peel your garlic cloves, squash with the palm of your hand and add to tin with the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour until they are soft and sticky.
- Meanwhile peel and chop your onion and carrots. Add a dash of olive oil to a large pan and cook the chopped veg on a medium heat until soft – about 15 minutes.
- Once soft, add the tin of cherry tomatoes and the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove roasted tomatoes from the oven when cooked and add to your pan – including the garlic.
- Stir well, pour in your stock, balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs and cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using a hand held stick blender blitz the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve into bowls.
- We’ve topped our roasted tomato soup with fried pancetta cubes and pumpkin seeds.
Eat! This roasted tomato soup will keep in the fridge for a few days if you have any spare! Want some more healthy ideas for lunch? Click here.
The antioxidant found in tomatoes is called Lycopene and is red in pigment. So choose the reddest tomatoes for the highest quantities of Lycopene!
Share this Post